Thursday 15 September 2011

Hot drinks

I drink a lot of coffee.  I may have mentioned this before.  But I would never have coffee as my drink with a meal...

I've never understood how people can drink hot drinks, with savoury food.  I know a lot of people do do this (particularly at breakfast - a cup of tea or coffee with a savoury breakfast) but I'm afraid I just don't get it.

Hot drinks are a sweet thing; I'm quite happy to have a coffee with biscuits, or with cake, or with a croissant.  But the flavour of coffee doesn't work with, say, sausages.  Or a roast dinner.

The general rule is that you should only drink a hot drink as an accompaniment to food if you could happily dip that food into said hot drink, without it creating something truly disgusting.  And, I'm sorry, but if you'd be able to dip fried eggs and bacon into a cup of tea or coffee, and then eat it, there's definitely something wrong with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)