Tuesday 16 December 2014

Sandwich review: Two cheese and red onion chutney on malted wheatgrain bread by URBANeat



The official description for this sandwich is:
Cheddar and Red Leicester cheese with mayonnaise, caramelised red onion confit, spinach, red onion and chives on malted wheatgrain bread
This sandwich came highly recommended by my friends and colleagues in The Ultra '90s, so I was intrigued to sample it, and put some thoughts down on this Blog.  Thankfully, it did not disappoint!

I confess I had been slightly nervous about trying this sandwich, and about the possibility of having to tell those who spoke so highly of it that I hadn't actually been that impressed.  Luckily, this was never an issue, as this is a very enjoyable sandwich indeed; cheese and onion is a classic flavour combination which it is difficult to get wrong, but in this instance URBANeat get it very right – the biggest triumph here is the red onion chutney, which is brilliantly executed with the perfect balance between sweet and tangy flavours.

My only criticism of this sandwich would be that I might have preferred a slightly more mature cheddar cheese.  I often feel that the cheeses chosen by sandwich manufacturers are a little blander than I might like – I guess sandwich companies want to appeal to as wide a range of customers as possible, and URBANeat are no exception here as they err on the side of caution with a mild, creamy cheddar.  My tastes are for stronger, more full-bodied cheeses, and I would love to try a version of this sandwich with a more mature cheddar – nevertheless, this is a minor point in the grand scheme of things, and this is still a very well executed, enjoyable sandwich, which I would have no qualms about buying again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)