Monday 25 January 2016

Sandwich review: New York deli style pastrami from M&S Count On Us… range


The official description for this sandwich is –
"Pastrami, Emmental and mustard dressing, spinach, gherkins, sauerkraut on rye bread"
"No mayo" boasts the packet of this low fat sandwich from Marks & Spencer.  That's no bad thing – I don't regard mayonnaise as the evil the calorie-counters do, but regular readers will know I deplore the overmayonation which blights so many of the sandwiches we buy.

Unfortunately, when M&S took out the mayonnaise, they also took out the flavour.  This recipe promised so much – I had expected the mustard dressing, the gherkins and the sauerkraut all to be strong-tasting and make their presence known, but sadly it wasn't to be.

I am hesitant to say that this disappointing blandness is simply a feature of "low fat" recipes which is simply to be expected, as I don't think generalisations are helpful in reviewing sandwiches, but if this example is representative of the genre then the outlook is not good.  I shall try not to let this prejudice me, and put me off trying other calorie-conscious sandwiches, but I shan't be buying this particular sandwich again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)