Tuesday 29 September 2009

A short tellyrant...

"We've got bikinis, we've got tunes - oh yes, this is definitely what being single is all about!" says the guy in the trailer for "Hollyoaks, Later" on E4...

I hate that guy... I've never seen the programme, and I don't know anything him, but I know that I hate him!

So here's the pretentious twonk bit... He gives a totally false impression of modern youth culture, in my opinion... Not just him, of course - but many of the "young people" TV shows which are on at the moment seem to want to say that life is just an endless round of parties, dates, sex, drinking and shopping... Is it really? Well, to go back to the "Hollyoaks, Later" guy, I've never that that's "definitely what being single is all about!" It's normally more about lonely days and nights, anger and self-doubt, questions, but no answers... Does that sound like I'm wallowing in self-pity, sounding all depressed, or fishing for sympathy? (Don't actually answer that!) I dunno - I'm just a bit annoyed that media like this portrays this easy-peasy lifestyle, which, more often that not, is far, far from the truth...

Enough, for now, I think... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice one. totally agree! Skins is also a horrifically wonky portrayal of youth. Mine was school work, mostly looking like a boy/shapeless blob with no clue, occasional parties where i couldn't handle my drink, fancied people so much i thought i'd die, only to realise that snogging them was gross and everything beyond that was just crap and the shattering realisation that it's all downhill from school in every conceivable way! hahaha

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)