Friday 6 June 2014

#DDay70

There is nothing I can say on social media which will enhance the remembrance of the 70th anniversary of D-Day.

D-Day, and the subsequent liberation of Europe, was such a momentous event - defining not just its own era, but many that would come after.  The courage, spirit and sacrifice of everyone involved can scarcely by comprehended by most of us living today.

It is important never to forget these incredible events, and what they mean.  (Will my generation be the last to grow up around those who fought in the Second World War, and those who lived through it - like my Grandmother, who survived the Blitz?)

Regular readers will know I usually have something to say on most topics, but against the scale of what happened seventy years ago, anything I say pales into insignificance.  To post a Tweet or a Facebook status saying 'RIP' would seem, to me, to be glib - almost patronising.

There is no shame in the realisation that I have nothing to offer on this subject, except my awe, wonder and admiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)