Saturday 14 June 2014

The best hotel for me



"I want to find the best hotel for me…"

So says the implausibly smiley (replete with cute dimples and twinkly eyes) woman who stars in the latest television advert for Trivago - a website which allows you to compare various prices for hotel rooms, and book a room straight from the site.

But what does that even mean?

Part of the trend of big companies trying to 'humanise' their image in adverts and in their branding in general, Trivago are trying to speak directly to me, personally - and to you, and to everyone.  They're trying to tell you that you're special, you're unique, and that they're looking out for you.  You're not; and they're not.

The "best hotel for me" is simply a nice hotel.  I am not such a special and wonderful individual, so set apart from the rest of the herd, that my requirements from a hotel room differ wildly from what the rest of the population would choose.

I want a hotel room which is clean, and has a bed and a shower and a television and towels provided and one of those tiny kettles (but no way to fill it, except in the bath).  And so do you.  And so does everyone.

Please, Trivago - stop trying to make me feel like I'm one-of-a-kind.  It isn't working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - give your feedback, answer a question, start a debate, make a point, or simply hurl abuse... It's up to you! ;)